Animal Blinkies

Sunday, October 3, 2010

We saw a movie, or two--

Shane and I went and saw Despicable Me

I wasn't sure that it was going to be a good movie~ I had heard that there were somewhat violent undertones to the movie.   We saw it at the $2.00 theater for a matinee -- and also in 3D. (I was a bit annoyed that we had to pay for the 3D glasses and so the $4.00 we should of spent ended up being $7.00... grrrr) This is the second movie that we have seen in 3D and I am not a fan.  The other movie we watched in 3D was How to Train your Dragon-- and the 3D made more sense in that movie, than it did in this one.
All in all it was a good movie, Shane survived it-- mostly. At the end there is a scene where the main character gets up and dances with his 3 new adopted daughters-- think John Travolta (see picture at right)
with SUPER skinny legs and a huge chest and torso like
 The Thing (Fantastic Four)--
 It was incredibly funny to watch,  then Shane had to stand up and dance in front of his seat!

There were some moments in the movie that were odd, for a childrens' movie... like when the BANK OF EVIL, was formally known as Lehman Brothers. The phone call between the main character(Gru) and his mother on his phone was weird, the mother never seemed to appreciate  or validate anything her son had done or achieved.  Then at the end of the movie, his mother's statements, were "Well, you finally made a good parent!"  I guess there was an attempt at sarcasm but it was so mixed in the message that I was left shaking my head..

I did like parts of the movie, but I can't say that I would want to watch it over and over again.
There is a nice part at the end of the movie-- when the main character Gru, reads a bedtime story to the girls that he wrote-- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1323594/quotes?qt1250327 "One big unicorn, strong and free, thought he was happy as he could be. Then three little kittens came around and turned his whole life upside down. They made him laugh, they made him cry. He never should have said goodbye. And now he knows he can never part from those three little kittens that changed his heart. "


I left the movie thinking ... geez is this a pro-adoption movie?
I think adoption is marvelous!
.. but I am not sure that a character like
Gru... a self proclaimed villain should be considered for the role of parent! ????
ah, well -- maybe it the movie was just trying to shine a light on adoption and the issues around it????
I don't know but... it was a bit odd.
Thanks... for letting me share my opinion and two cents ! :)

Shane and I also rented a movie from our local REDBOX --  there weren't many choices that I was fond of ...  so we ended up with Where The Wild Things Are. (An adaptation of Maurice Sendak's classic children's story, where Max, a disobedient little boy sent to bed without his supper, creates his own world--a forest inhabited by ferocious wild creatures that crown Max as their ruler)

I did not like this movie and Shane did not either.   I remember enjoying reading the book when I was a child and I remember reading it with Shane and Jessica-- but this movie went very far away from the whole point of the book-- at least in my honest opinion.
There was a part in the movie where Max is talking to the monsters and telling them all kinds of fanciful things about how he was a VIKING, and that he was KING... he kept embellishing -- Shane was so annoyed that he asked me to fast forward the movie... he was really upset that there were clear lies in the movie and there weren't immediate repercussions.  
There was a point where Max and his mother have a altercation -- It made me so uncomfortable--. I kept hoping for a redeeming lesson scene to appear but it never happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Friday, we had a meeting at the school about Shane...
We decided that he would go to school ALL DAY! yahooo!
We decided that he would get his social skills time with an older group of kids, so that it would be less disruptive to his current classroom schedule.
We decided that if he starts to chew his shirt sleeves or neck-- he will be given some Chicletsgum to chew... politely!    I went looking for some Chiclet gum... at Target and I didn't find any-- I went on line and found it at STAPLES-- but when I went to the STAPLES store I didn't find ANY.
 The clerk did point out that I might end up with Elcipse gum  (Eclipse gum is the fastest growing intense pellet gum in the category.)
 (We are trying to make the gum seem to the other kids as a tool or medication-- it is more socially accepted...)  Those of us in the meeting were struck by how odd it was that medication was "normal" and accepted. I think medication has it's uses, but it was just odd -- the how the kids might respond to gum vs medication.

Shane watched Dragon Fly TV and now he wants to build a homemade car-- from found items around the house and recycle bin...    I am not an engineer -- I don't know if I am the best parent for this task! yikes!
He has already determined that he will use a egg carton for the car frame... empty thread spools for the wheels, and pipe cleaners for the axels...  I am very proud of him, but scared that I won't have the answer to his many...many questions!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yahooo! That is great news! I like the idea of using gum for that purpose. Thanks for the 2 reviews - reinforcing what I thought - I won't bother with either. Going to see Secretariat tonight with Hubby!

Barbara